Monday, February 15, 2010

Knitting Socks

Soldiers hold a special place in my heart.  I loved one, once upon a time. 

Having had that experience, the adoration for the US Military has just kind of stuck with me.  The dedication these men & women show makes me choke up a bit.  A few of my brothers are former Marines (OOHRAH!) & providing comfort for the American Troops is just in my blood.  It is the least I can do for the sacrafices they make.

I recently began volunteering at the USO.  Thus far, it has been a life changing experience.  An eyeopener of sorts.  Each volunteer has a different reason for offering their time.  Some are retired Military & Vets, some have family members in the service - brothers, sisters, children... and some have no connection to anyone in the Military - they simply want to say "thank you".

There is a fantastic site that I stumbled across this morning that touched my heart.  anysoldier.com  If you are looking to provide a little bit of comfort to our Men & Women serving overseas, this is the site for you!  Currently, I have 3 friends serving in Iraq. I do my best to reach out to them as much as possible, just so they know that someone at home is thinking about them. 

I may not always agree with the circumstances surrounding the deployment of our Troops, but that doesn't prevent me from knitting socks on the homefront. *wink wink*

No comments: