Thursday, May 15, 2008

♥Gina♥














This month is the one year anniversary of my friend Gina's death.



Rather then a sad, dreadful funeral her family threw a "Celebration of Life" in her honor on the beach. It was everything Gina loved: live Jamaican music, cocktails, BBQ, and lots of friends and family! I asked my cousin J. to go with me because I had never been to anything like that before. I felt almost guilty enjoying the ocean breeze, the cocktails etc. without having Gina there... But it was what she wanted and it...was...her. Towards the end of the evening her brother Jerry and her dad Jerry Sr. had a slide show of Gina's short life... I laughed through tears. Seeing her with the 80's hair do was awesome. And in the Girl Scout uniform..OH! How I laughed. What a wonderful, vibrant but short life she lived.

A week later, her boyfriend had a disco party at his home in Gina's honor. (Such a fun girl she was!!) I met her friends. Her family. Her nurses from the hospital. Everyone willing to boogie in disco garb for her! :D I had never worn 4 inch heel boots before... with a hot pink mini-skirt and fake eyelashes to boot. Oh my, I can only imagine that G was giggling like crazy at my desperate attempt to be a 'girl'. HA HA HA. I miss her husky, infectious laugh.

When people pass away, we tend to remember only the good things about them. In this case though, that's all there is to remember. Gina was genuine with a heart the loved unconditionally and friendship that was to last forever. Even during her hardest times here on earth, at the points when she was barely able to walk, she was still a devoted friend, a devout believer in God and an inspiration to all who met her. About a week before she passed away I sent her a text message that said "I love you, Gina." She called me and said, "Your message made me almost cry, I love you too!" And then we talked about her recent trip to Hawaii. We laughed, even though she wasn't able to talk long because her body was just exhausted. That was the last time I talked to her.

May 29th 2007 will forever hold a special place in my heart. It's the day that we lost a precious soul on earth, but they gained a beautiful angel in Heaven.

I miss you silly Gina Renee McKinish. XXXOOO
11/21/69 - 05/29/07


Happiness Is A Journey

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
Dance as though no one is watching you.
Love as though your have never been hurt before.
Sing as though no one can hear you.
Live as though Heaven is on earth.

Father Alfred D'Souza




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, where do I start. Gina was my bf when we met it was love at first sight ;) we had sone many things in common. Gina was a very unique ans special person. We hung out a lot durning the day and she would tell me you know how many people would love to be I. Our places out on the beach having lunch. She helped me with disease. Gina was suppose to go on a MissionTrip with me the week before she got ill, I was terrified to hear all my vm from her dad when i got back. I ran to the hospital and was there till her last breath. She is in a wonderful place with the Lord and somday we will see her again. I miss her like crazy!!! Gina I love you my friend ~Beatriz~

Sherilynn said...

Beatriz -

Your comment brought a HUGE smile to my face.

I remember when Gina would come in to bring me papers on a new deal and she'd always have silly things to tell me about something you two laughed about.

After a particularly rough week, I'd always ask her after the weekend... "So, any sand in your car?" And she'd laugh and say "Of course!!"

And even though I only knew her for about a year, she was one of the people that has touched my soul for the rest of my life.

I am grateful that you were able to spend her last moments with her. I know that Jerry appreciates it also. ♥

Take care and track me down if you'd ever like to chat :)

☼Carpe diem☼
Sheri

Unknown said...

Beatriz... As the anniversary of Gina's death approaches, I think about you and wonder how you are.
Well, I hope.
Love,
Sheri